Friday, January 9, 2009

My Love Language

So, a while back my church did a Sunday school class series on the different love languages. It was really fascinating. It made me realize a few things about myself.


Here's a brief review on what a love language is: A Love language is divided into 2 parts, giving love, and receiving love. I will focus on the latter. The love we receive goes into a "love tank" and the love we give comes out of that same "tank." When a person does not receive love, that "tank" gets low, and after a while the "tank" becomes empty. During this time, a person can become bitter, and start rejecting any love that might come in.


My love language is Words of Affirmation, meaning, I "receive" love in the form of compliments.


I believe my trust issues triggered everything (refer to previus post). Because I don't trust people, I involuntarily reject love. When someone gives me a compliment I get excited, and it makes me happy for a brief moment, but then this voice insisde me says "They didn't mean what they said. They were just being nice." My love tank wasn't getting filled up and this (apparently) in turn caused me to reject love even more. This made me realize why I am such a cynical realist.


When you reject love, you're just digging a bigger pit of bitterness for yourself because the love tank never receives love and therefore stays empty.



If you read my previous post, you'd know that I do not trust people at all. BUT, according to this, I need to have at least a little trust in people. We are commanded to love in the Bible. And if we have no love in our love tank, then we cannot give love to God and others.



So what I've learned is that I need to take what people say, and take it as a bit of love they are giving me. And If my love tank is getting low, It might mean that I am not giving enough love to others. Love works both ways. Think about it. If you poured love into someone 24/7, but they never did anything back would you keep pouring love into them? Granted, some people would, but not many.

hm...idk what to do my next post on...

-Cosette

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so true...
    I think I have to find mine too.
    Bye,
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Have Been Awarded!
    ^_^
    See my blog for info!
    ~J~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you've been awarded! See my blog for details!

    -Emj

    ReplyDelete